The Barossa Goldfields Historical Society is a group of volunteers working to preserve the history of the Barossa Goldfields and the surrounding area.

Gold was discovered in the Barossa in 1868 by the publican of the Sandy Creek Hotel, and a total of 50,000oz were extracted during the following rush.

Our museum and other displays are situated on the corner of Goldfields Road and Allendale Road. We're a part of the Para Wirra Conservation Park and many of the trails in the park go past sites related to the gold mining history of the area.

    Coronavirus Pandemic Notice:
    The Federal Government and SA State Government have both announced restrictions on gatherings of people because of the spread of coronavirus.
    Accordingly, Bowden's Cottage, the Museum and Gaol openings will be subject to restrictions.
  • This means wearing a mask and maintaining a distance of 1.5 m between people or 1 person per 2 sq. metres.
  • Entry to Bowden's Cottage, the Museum and Gaol will be restricted due to the small spaces.
  • If you have a cough, cold or flu symptoms, please do not visit.
  • With these restrictions in mind, please feel free to have a look around the grounds and chat to members.

Guided Tours for Groups and Schools are available by prior arrangement, with Damper and Billy Tea in cooler months.

Getting Here

We're just 15 minutes out of Gawler on the way to Williamstown....

View details »

Walking Trails

We have a number of walking trails, each with interpretive signs and some spectacular views.

View details »

History

Our outside displays are always on view, and the museum is open regularly.

View details »



counter